Unconventional Baby Food Recipes
Think you know baby food? Think again: Parents looking to feed their infants fare beyond the standard mushed-up carrots, peas and apples are turning to nutrition-packed ingredients once thought to be reserved only for adult palates. Check out these baby and tot-friendly recipes by celebrity chef Tyler Florence, founder of Sprout baby food, that feature kale, quinoa, parsnips and more.
Green Bean, Potato and Kale Puree
When blended with potatoes, green beans, chicken stock and Parmesan cheese, “it has a very deep and delicious flavor, like something an Italian grandmother would make,” Florence writes.
Age Range: Good for infants six to eight month-old.
Servings: Makes four 1/2-cup servings or two 1-cup servings
- 1/4 pound green beans
- 1 large russet (baking) potato, peeled and sliced
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- In a saucepan, combine the beans, potato, kale, and stock and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat. Cook uncovered until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender and add the Parmesan and olive oil. Puree until as smooth as you prefer.
- Serve warm.
Reprinted from Start Fresh by Tyler Florence. Copyright (c) 2011 by Tyler Florence. By permission of Rodale, Inc.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN