Months 0 to 2: Getting to Know You
At six or eight weeks, just when you're feeling bone-tired and your baby has hit a wall of fussiness, she starts to smile. Suddenly you're doing everything you can to coax out another grin. Until then, try these ways to enjoy your newborn.
- Memorize every feature of your baby's face while she lies in her crib.
- Watch her fall asleep on your chest. You may think she'll always be a lump, but this stage really doesn't last long.
- Dance with your baby to music and decide which songs are her favorites.
- Walk everywhere with a front carrier and marvel at the droop of her neck when she falls asleep.
- Join a mothers' group, where you'll get support and notice your baby's individuality.
- While she's eating, feel free to muse upon your dreams or read poetry aloud—she won't stir at this point, unlike later when the slightest noise will distract her.