Enjoying Your Baby, from Day One to Year One
Months 0 to 2: Getting to Know You
At six or eight weeks, just when you’re feeling bone-tired and your baby has hit a wall of fussiness, she starts to smile. Suddenly you’re doing everything you can to coax out another grin. Until then, try these ways to enjoy your newborn.
- Memorize every feature of your baby’s face while she lies in her crib.
- Watch her fall asleep on your chest. You may think she’ll always be a lump, but this stage really doesn’t last long.
- Dance with your baby to music and decide which songs are her favorites.
- Walk everywhere with a front carrier and marvel at the droop of her neck when she falls asleep.
- Join a mothers’ group, where you’ll get support and notice your baby’s individuality.
- While she’s eating, feel free to muse upon your dreams or read poetry aloud—she won’t stir at this point, unlike later when the slightest noise will distract her.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN