Babyproofing Your Home
Before your child begins to crawl, use this helpful checklist of household precautions to make your home a safe place for your growing baby.
- Keep pillows out of the crib until your baby is a year old.
- Install electrical outlet plugs to protect your baby from shock.
- Keep small jewelry, perfumes and colognes, shoe polishing materials, belts, scarves, and ties out of your baby’s reach.
- Never lock a baby into a room.
- Make sure closets can be opened from the inside, so that your toddler doesn’t get locked in.
- Never allow your baby to sleep with a bib on.
- Keep older children’s toys out of your baby’s reach.
- Keep button batteries away from your child; they can cause intoxication with mercury and acid. Button batteries can be found in watches, small toys, computer games, and other small gadgets. In the United States there is a 24-hour emergency consultation service called the National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline (202-625-3333). Over a 7-year period they followed 2382 cases of swallowed batteries. Of these, 62 were larger cylindrical batteries, and the rest were buttons.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN