Babyproofing Your Home
Before your child begins to crawl, use this helpful checklist of household precautions to make your home a safe place for your growing baby.
Stair and Hallway Safety
- Place smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home (one per floor).
- Install electrical outlet plugs to protect your baby from shock.
- Block your child’s access to all stairways.
- Be sure hallways and stairs are well lit.
- Always hold onto the safety railing when carrying your child up and down the steps.
- Install safety gates to close off high risk areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and stairs. (Safety gates are not always reliable; babies can dislodge some gates, and some have small pieces that babies can swallow.)
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN