Amy Pistone, mother of three: "My 12-month-old daughter pulled the cord of my curling iron and it fell down on her bare foot, giving her a pretty good burn."
Tip: Hastings says, "Never leave any electric appliance plugged in without supervision. Not only are burns a danger, but with water in bathrooms, there is a significant electrocution risk."
Donald Costa, father of six: "I'm missing the first inch of my index finger because I stuck it in a fan as a child. Now I'm diligent about keeping fans out of reach and unplugging the paper shredder in the office unless I'm actually using it at the moment."
Tip: The seemingly small paper shredder opening can catch tiny fingers, long hair, loose clothing, and jewelry, causing a strangulation risk.
Lacey Griffin, mother of two: "I thought getting an exercise bike for our home was a great way to lose the baby fat, but it actually earned us a trip to the hospital when my daughter played with the pedals and caught her fingers in the moving gears.
Tip: Keep all home exercise equipment locked up. "Treadmills cause falls, burns, and fingers trapped between the belt and machine. Stair steppers pose fall risks and jump ropes are a strangulation hazard," warns Hastings.