Your Baby's 6th Month
Learn about your baby's development at weeks 22-26
First Real Babbles
Many babies start to babble around the sixth month. You may even hear the long awaited, “mamamama” or “dadadada” Often, Baby says, “dadadada” first. It has no reflection upon whether baby wants to acknowledge Dad or Mom first. Baby will take his time trying to pronounce a variety of different babbles. He’ll probably stick with one set for a while and then discover another.
Most parents ask if a baby is just making sounds or if he is calling out to his parents. He likely doesn’t make the connection with the sound and the person just yet, but keep responding and repeating these sounds back. Pretty soon, he’ll be calling out for you, specifically. (Hopefully not in the middle of the night!)
Read more about Baby’s language development in the first year and share your own child’s first words.
Dining Out with Baby
If Baby is sitting in the high chair, this is a fun time to take him out to eat. It is very important to prepare before going to the restaurant. Do your research. Here are some dining-out tips from other experienced parents:
- Choose a restaurant that will seat you right away or takes reservations.
- Make sure high chairs are available.
- Go early—late dinners do not bode well for most babies.
- Consider a window seat or outside seating.
- People walking by or cars moving on the street make great distractions for Baby. A water feature, such as a fountain, is ideal.
- If Baby is eating solids, have a selection ready as soon as you sit down. A hungry baby and a long wait for food do not mix. Finger foods (if appropriate) often take up a nice chunk of time and keep Baby happily challenged using his fingers.
- Remember, a baby loves to grab interesting objects, so be careful of plates, utensils, salt and pepper shakers, and other items on the table.
- Consider the wait and bus staff after the meal is over. If your baby has really gone to town and made a huge mess under the high chair, clean up as much as you can and tip big.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN