While you may be amazed at Baby's nonstop interest in moving and exploring, you may not notice that she always keeps an eye on your location. You are her safe home base from which to start exploring. She will venture out but always wants to know where she can find you if she needs a hug or wants to show you a toy. She relies on you for comfort and to "refuel" before launching out again.
This is an important step in her growing independence. She'll only be interested in exploring her world with the trust of having her primary caregiver close by.
More Development Help
As you're considering your child's development, keep in mind that all babies are unique. Whether your baby reaches milestones early or late, she has her own developmental path to follow. The dividing lines between these months are very fuzzy. If you have any concerns or questions about your baby's development, please check with her healthcare provider.
- Use our Development Tracker to check off Baby's 8 to 12 month milestones.
- What's the most common medical concern for babies this age? Check it out!
Now...Let's Take a Closer Look at Each Week
- Week 35: Counting Events in a Sequence
- Week 36: Deferred Imitation
- Week 37: Understanding Disappearance
- Week 38: Supporting Baby's Attempts
- Week 39: Categorizing