- In This Feature
- Befuddled by Bottles?
- Do Baby Bottles Need to Be Sterilized Each Time Before Use?
- What's the Deal with Nipples that Come in Different Stages?
- There Are So Many Styles of Bottles. How Do I Choose?
- Is Warming Formula or Breast Milk Really Necessary?
- How Long Does Formula Keep?
- Can I Re-Heat Formula?
- Is It OK to Nurse, Then Offer Formula?
Is It OK to Nurse, Then Offer Formula?
Yes! Many moms supplement breastfeeding with a bottle, and breast milk and formula mix fine in a baby's belly. According to Dr. Sears, the two can even be combined in one bottle. In that case, make sure to feed the baby right away, so there won't be any confusion about proper storage of a bottle that contains both breast milk and formula. Some experts, however, do warn that supplementing can cause a decrease in milk supply.