We celebrate endless "firsts" when we have a baby: the first smile; first Christmas; first steps. But we rarely see a parent get choked up about Baby's First Halloween. It's a shame, because the first Halloween yields a ton of commemorative-mug-worthy moments for both parent and child. (OK, mostly for parents.) If you're a new parent wondering what you have to look forward to this Halloween, here are:
The 10 Best Things About Celebrating Halloween with a Baby
10. Fact: There is nothing cuter than a baby dressed as a pea in a pod. Except, perhaps, a baby dressed as a pumpkin.
9. If you're still carrying some extra baby weight, you have the perfect excuse to go out wearing a baggy white sheet.
8. Mischievous neighborhood kids aren't as likely to smash your pumpkins when they know you can retaliate with dirty diaper bombs.
7. Your "Scary Halloween Sound Effects" CD with howling wind and chainsaw sounds also makes great white noise for the nursery.
6. If your house is a mess, you can just turn out the lights when guests come over and tell them the darkness is part of your "haunted house theme."
5. Baby chicken costumes do a fabulous job of concealing full diapers.
4. Finally! You can respond to your friends' obligatory kids-in-the-pumpkin-patch photos on Facebook… with your own obligatory baby-in-the-pumpkin-patch Facebook photos.
3. It is now OK to scare people with that sleep-deprived zombie look you've been sporting.
2. People love it when cute babies trick-or-treat at their houses, which may earn you some extra snack sized-candy bars. Not to mention …
1. You get to eat all of your baby's candy. Which pretty much makes Halloween the best holiday EVER.