Flying with my two young children: the very idea of it invariably makes my heart race and palms sweat. I have flashes of flights past, where I was attacked with accusatory glares from other passengers the second I stepped on the plane. Their eye-rolls said, "Why didn't you take a TRAIN across the country with your rugrats?" while their stiffening bodies seemed to cry, "Oh please, do NOT sit near me!" And I would slink back to our seats, embarrassed and nervous.
As we jump into the height of travel season, however, I believe it's time for us parents to absolve ourselves of any embarrassment. Because, as you'll see, a grumpy kid is hardly the worst thing on a plane.
10 Things on a Plane That Are Even Worse Than Screaming Kids
10. The man sitting in front of you who reclines his seat AS FAR AS IT WILL GO.
9. Increasingly exorbitant baggage fees that require you to take out a second mortgage.
8. The woman sitting beside you who will not stop talking about her niece who is getting married this weekend.
7. Discovering that your airsickness bag… has already been used.
6. The passenger who refuses to trade her aisle seat for your window seat, so that you can sit with the rest of your family.
5. The man who ate a bean burrito before the flight.
4. Having to pay $10 for pretzels and a stick of cheese.
3. That passenger who hogs the shared armrest, no matter how many times you "subtly" nudge his elbow.
2. People who fill your overhead bin with their luggage–when their seats are actually in the back.
1. Celebrities who refuse to stop playing Words with Friends (ahem, Alec Baldwin), thus getting kicked off the plane and delaying your flight for HOURS.