I was due February 14, 2002. I had my OB appointment on February 13. At this appointment, my doctor decided I should have an ultrasound done just so he could have an idea of how big my baby was (my first baby was nine pounds at birth).
During my ultrasound, my baby was not moving, so my doctor decided I should go to the hospital immediately to be induced.
The nurses were waiting for me at the hospital and immediately started me on Pitocin. I was scared. My husband finally arrived. A few hours later my contractions started to get really bad. The nurses suggested an epidural. I refused, but they insisted. They said it would be best in case I needed an emergency c-section. They were pretty sure my baby was going to be big. So I ended up getting an epidural. Let me tell you that I do not regret it. I had my first baby unmedicated.
Hours passed and finally it was time to push. My baby’s head came out and I continued pushing. The doctors and nurses began to panic because one of the baby's shoulders was stuck. I pushed and pushed until I told them I couldn't push anymore. The doctor was nervous and I felt him tugging and pulling. After what seemed like hours, my baby finally came out.
I had a baby boy. I was thrilled. The nurses and doctors seemed worried though and I heard them whispering. They finally told me that my son weighed 12 pounds and was 23 inches long. Amazingly, I did not need any stitches.
They also told me that my baby was so big his shoulder got stuck, and as a result his nerves in his left arm were bruised and he would not move his arm for a couple of weeks until they healed. All the doctors and nurses reassured me he would be okay. This condition is called shoulder dystocia.
I took my baby to the pediatrician where he set up an appointment for me at the hospital for sick kids, as my son's arm was not getting any better. At this appointment I learned that my son would need surgery to repair the nerves in his arm. Even after the surgery, my son will not have 100% use of his arm. His condition is called Erbs Palsy or a brachial plexus injury.
I learned there are different positions a the doctor should put the mother in to dislodge a baby's shoulder from the pelvis. Also, an episiotomy should have been done. When a baby's shoulder is stuck in the pelvis the doctor should not panic and should never pull and tug at the baby’s head.
Time and time again I ask myself why my OB/GYN let my baby get so big. I had four ultrasounds done during my pregnancy. I also wonder why they did not schedule me for a c-section when thy found out my baby was not moving. My husband wonders why I did not have a c-section earlier on during my pregnancy since I had a history with having a large baby.