Thomas & Andrew's Birth Story
When I was 18, after many tests and doctors appointments, I was told that I had very little chance of becoming pregnant because I didn’t ovulate. The doctors put me on the pill so that I would get a period.
Seven years later, I got married, and my husband and I decided we wanted to have a baby. Before attempting fertility treatments we decided I’d go off the pill and see what happened.
One month later I was pregnant and we were ecstatic! My doctor did an ultrasound at eight weeks, and we got to hear and see not one, but two little hearts! We were shocked. We had expected to suffer for years in attempts to conceive, yet within a month we found out we were having two babies!
My early pregnancy was awful in terms of “morning” sickness. I was in the hospital three times for dehydration. At about 16 weeks it went away and life was good. At twenty weeks I went for the level 2 ultrasound and my cervix was at 1 1/2 inches (about half of what it should be). The average cervix is six centimeters, so they gave me a stitch called a cerclage to hold me closed. I was put out of work and on semi bedrest (i.e. no walking for more than 10 minutes and no lifting or squatting etc.).
Although both babies were breech and I was told that I would probably have a C-section, my husband and I took Bradley classes (birthing classes) to prepare in case they turned. I literally prayed every night for the babies to turn because I wanted a vaginal birth. Well, at 33 weeks baby A turned and at 35 weeks baby B followed suit! I know this because we went for an ultrasound every other week from 30 weeks on.
On Wednesday of week 36 my doctor removed the cerclage, and I went into labor on Thursday afternoon. Since the contractions were so mild we waited until Friday afternoon to go to the hospital. When I got there they did tests, confirmed everything was okay with both babies, and I was sent home. I was still only two centimeters dilated and really didn’t want Pitocin.
I came back the next morning at 3 1/2 centimeters and was admitted at 8:00am. My contractions slowed once I was admitted and I agreed to have Pitocin in order to meet my babies. I didn’t get the epidural they were pushing on me at that time.
At 4:00 p.m. my contractions were hard and I was still only 3 1/2 cm. dilated. My doctor threatened to do a C-section if I didn’t dilate soon. He was having a hard time tracing baby B because I was moving around so much. The doctor thought I might not be dilating because I was tensing up at every contraction and asked me to give the epidural a try. I did, and immediately started dilating.
At 5:38pm., after three pushes my first son Thomas Arthur was born, weighing six pounds, two ounces. Then my contractions stopped for 20 minutes. After some Pitocin to get them going again, and four pushes later, my second son, Andrew Gregory was born. He weighed five pounds two ounces.
With no c-section and hardly any pushing, this was the best experience of my life!
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN