Feng Shui for Fertility
Rearrange your way to pregnancy
In the bedroom
- Clean up. Clear the clutter from the tops of dressers and pick up the clothes and shoes from the floor. Clutter depletes the positive feng shui energies and thwarts your attempts at conception.
- But don’t clean too much! While the area under your bed should be clean and clutter-free, you don’t want to sweep or vacuum there for fear of disturbing the energy.
- Hang red paper lanterns on either side of the bed to bring a positive influence into the bedroom.
- Put a hollow piece of bamboo in the north section of the bedroom.
- Place a dragon on the man’s side of the bed to increase passion and potency.
- Hang pictures or other decorations in pairs: two birds, two people, two fish, etc. The display of two fish is the symbol of marital union.
- Continue the animal theme and place an elephant—or a group of seven elephants—on your dresser; elephants have long been considered a sign of fertility, and the number seven represents children.
Make It Modern and Meaningful
Linda Varone, a Boston-based feng shui consultant for more than 17 years, says that while many of these traditional cures may help you conceive, people in Western cultures might be uncomfortable with the idea of completely redecorating their homes “to look like a Chinese restaurant.”
Instead, Varone encourages people who do not feel particularly tied to Asian traditions to use symbols with more meaning to them personally. “A photo, a piece of artwork, or a memento might raise your energy more than a traditional Asian symbol,” she says. “I recommend that people use objects that speak directly to them.”
Chart a Course for Children
Varone also suggests that couples superimpose a bagua template over their house or master bedroom and pay particular attention to the child/creativity area. A bagua template is a tool used to map a room or location to see how the different sections of the area correspond to different aspects in one’s life. If you imagine the bagua as a tic-tac-toe grid, the section for children is the right-hand square in the middle row.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN