Q&A: Is it too soon to take Provera?
I lost my baby at 20 weeks due to an incompetent cervix. My husband and I have been trying to conceive again for the last two months since I've had regular menstrual cycles. I was supposed to get my period six days ago, and haven't. I have taken two pregnancy tests and both were negative. My doctor took a blood serum pregnancy test and it was negative too. He suggested waiting one more week and taking another pregnancy test, and if it is negative, he wants to start me on Provera to start my cycle.
With my last pregnancy, my ultrasound showed that I conceived in September, even though the pregnancy test I took in October was negative. The test I took in November came up positive. I am wondering if I should wait to take the Provera. My husband and I are still trying, but my doctor also said that I won't ovulate since I did not get my period. I use the ovulite ovulation predictor and I am seeing changes that may indicate that I am ovulating. Could that be the case?
All your doctor wants to do is “jump start” your cycle, in hopes it’ll follow naturally after that. I think your doctor is following the exact protocol we all use for a sluggish second half of a cycle.
Regarding your mysterious early-on negative pregnancy tests—I think the ones that are negative meant you weren’t pregnant then. The false negative window is only 10 days or so. Obviously you have a delay in ovulation, which is why progesterone is a good idea with the timing your doctor suggests.
None of this has anything to do with an incompetent cervix. Once pregnant, your doctor may suggest a cerclage to tighten the cervical closure.