What to Expect and When
With these suggestions in mind, it's helpful to familiarize yourself with the approximate ages at which children are able to master some of the more common dressing and undressing skills.
- Attempt to undress: One to one and one-half years
- Strip efficiently: Two years
- Attempt to pull on shirt, socks, and elastic-waist pants: Two and one-half to three and one-half years
- Dress and undress with some assistance: Three to four years
- Dress independently (including snaps and buttons): Around five years
- Learn to tie shoelaces: Around four to five years