Mmm, Organic! 3 Smart Toddler Snacks
Healthy foods that kids will actually eat!
As “guacamole,” author Barnes’ son wasn’t interested in this dip. But once she called it “Oscar Dip” after the green lovable monster from
Sesame Street, he was hooked.
The lime juice and cilantro give this salsa a sweet instead of spicy flavor. Increase the onion for those who enjoy more spice. Serve with tortilla chips or layer in a wrap or roll-up sandwich to take on the go.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed organic lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced organic green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mash avocado with the back of a fork in a small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Calories from Fat: 50
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 4g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Baked “Zuke” Sticks
Zucchini is a tough name for little ones to pronounce, and
zuke sounds much more fun. These are a good snack food, side dish, or party food to serve with other veggie sticks. (A side of marinara sauce is good for those little dippers.)
Enlist older children to help by rolling sticks in flour, milk, and bread crumbs. This may become a messy job as mixture can stick to fingers. A child who does not like messy hands will pass on this task.
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic milk
- 3 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3×1/2-inch pieces (peel if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Place the flour on a plate. Pour milk into a shallow bowl.
- Dip each zucchini stick in flour until lightly coated. Then dip in milk.
- Finally roll in bread crumb mixture until covered, pressing so mixture sticks.
- Transfer zucchini sticks to prepared pan and bake for 22 to 24 minutes, until zucchini is tender and coating is crisp and brown.
Serving Size: 8 sticks (128g)
Calories from Fat: 10
Total Fat: 1.5g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 20g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN