Childhood Poisoning: What You Need to Know
Afraid your child may have been poisoned? Follow these important steps
What to Look For
Fearing that your little one has been accidentally poisoned can raise the hairs on even the most laid-back parent’s neck. Arming yourself with valuable information about treatment and prevention is the best way to protect your inquisitive youngster.
Although the statistics can be frightening, every parent should know that:
- According to SafeKids.org, more than 1.2 million children ages 5 and under are unintentionally poisoned each year.
- While most childhood poisonings are not serious enough to require emergency medical treatment, you should always call your local Poison Control Center if you have any doubts about what your child was exposed to or ingested.
- Poisonings do not occur only by ingestion (swallowing something poisonous that gets into the digestive tract). Inhalation (breathing in) or coming into contact with a toxic material through the skin can be equally harmful.
If you didn’t see your toddler eat, inhale, or touch something poisonous, but feel that she may have been poisoned, how can you tell?
- Be suspicious and look for these signs: excessive drooling, burns around the mouth, vomiting, sudden nausea, acting cranking or sleepy (more so than normal), or complaining of burning in the throat.
- Call for emergency help (911) if your child is unconscious, having difficulty breathing, convulsing, or showing other severe symptoms.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN