It's Getting Hot in Here
When Maureen's son spiked a high fever she settled him into his nightly bath to help reduce his temperature and relax him before bed. She was shocked when he thrashed around and momentarily lost consciousness. Tommy didn't respond immediately when Maureen tried to stir him, so she dialed 911. He regained consciousness quickly, but they took a trip in the ambulance just the same.
At the emergency room, doctors checked Tommy out and told Maureen that he had experienced a febrile seizure. The nurse explained that febrile seizures occur in about five percent of infants and toddlers, and assured Maureen that she couldn't have done anything to prevent it. Although Tommy had no lasting ill effects from the experience, much to Maureen's relief, she is now ever more watchful when her son's temperature rises.