Winter Holiday Safety Tips
How to keep your family safe when you decorate for the season
- Use only noncombustible or flame-resistant materials. Choose tinsel or artificial icicles of plastic or nonleaded metals.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near evergreens. Use nonflammable holders, and place candles where they will not be knocked down.
- In homes with small children, avoid sharp or breakable decorations. Keep trimmings with small removable parts out of reach and avoid using those that resemble candy or food.
- Wear gloves to avoid eye and skin irritation while decorating with spun glass “angel hair.” Follow directions carefully while decorating with artificial snow sprays.
- >Use care with “fire salts,” which produce colored flames. They cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting if eaten. Keep them away from children.
- Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
For more information or to get a free brochure with more holiday decorating safety tips, please be sure to visit the CPSC website.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN