Steer Clear of Poisonous Plants
Remember this rhyme: "Leaves of three, let them be." Exposure to the poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac plants can cause allergic outbreaks and uncomfortable itching for many people. If you come in contact with the sap of any of these plants, wash the exposed area and any clothing that has come into contact with warm to hot water. Know the plants in your yard and teach your child not to pick plants without first checking with an adult. Some plants are poisonous if ingested. Call the poison control center for emergency information (800) 222-1222.
Some children develop heat rash from excess sweating during these hot and humid months. Be sure to dress your little ones in lightweight, loose-fitting clothes made of comfortable cotton fabric. If your child feels especially uncomfortable, a cool bath with a couple tablespoons of either ground oatmeal or baking soda will help comfort itchy skin. Or, apply Calamine lotion to the uncomfortable itch; some people even use cornstarch to absorb excess body moisture.