We all know the telltale signs that a child is ready to potty train—expresses interest in the toilet, stays dry for hours, understands and follows basic instructions, is entering college any day now… But what about the signs that your little one is not exactly ready for the toilet?
Although you may be eager to ditch the diapers already, your child may not be on the same page. To determine if this is the case, here are some clues:
Top 10 Signs Your Child is NOT Ready for Potty Training
10. Your child is more interested in using the potty for toy storage than anything else.
9. Your child is content to sit in his soiled diaper until, oh, say, the next presidential election.
8. When you play the potty training DVD for him, he says, "Even C-SPAN would be more interesting than this."
7. There is more pee on the wall than in the potty.
6. Your child rejects nice incentives you offer in desperation, including stickers and a Ferrari.
5. When you point out that your neighbor's toddler has started using the potty, your child shrugs and says, "So?"
4.You walk into the bathroom to find your toddler trying out the training potty—as a hat.
3. Your child just celebrated his 1-month birthday.
2. Your child thinks the new potty makes an excellent cereal bowl.
1. Your child tells you he doesn't like how his potty training book ends.