Week 5: Lose the Baby Weight
This week's focus: phasing out grazing
Welcome to the fifth week of your concerted efforts to lose some of that old pregnancy weight and get in shape. This week we’ll be looking at changing our habits a little more. Getting some exercise every day, eating with a bit more of a deliberate plan, and not viewing lapses as total losses.
Exercise: Move Every Day
Carry on doing one hour of cardio work three or four times a week. Add strength training on one or two days. On your “rest” days, just do something—anything—for 30 to 45 minutes. Raise your metabolism. Sweat a little. For example, walk the dog. Push the baby in the stroller. Take a class. Do a video. If you work in an office building, take your tennis shoes and spend your lunch time walking the stairs for 30 minutes.
For your strength workout, we’re going to add some intensity. Take what we did last week and add these resistance band moves:
- Core: Bridge plus crunch, double knee tucks plus flip over and hold plank for 30 seconds or as long as you can (work up to 30 seconds).
- Arms: Upper triceps dips plus biceps.
- Legs: Leg circles and books with band attached, plus band donkey kicks.
- Chest: Push-ups (increase number from last week or go to knees or go to chest), plus chest fly.
We’ve got an explanation of the workout here!
Diet: Give Up Grazing
Guess why eating a little here and there is called grazing? Because it’s what cows do! You are a dignified person who deserves to eat like an adult; you’re not a roving trash can, so don’t pop leftover food in your mouth. This week follow these rules:
- Eat off a plate … with a fork.
- Eat at the table. Not at the counter. Not in the car. Not on the couch.
- Don’t eat your kids’ leftovers.
- Don’t have seconds.
- Don’t eat after dinner.
Attitude: A Mistake Is Not Defeat
Just because you goof up (eating chips out of the bag or ice cream from the carton) you don’t have to throw in the towel for the day. Stop then and there. Turn a page immediately. In fact, click to a page to read this article: Messed Up Your Diet? Quitting Is the Only Mistake.
Plan your week’s snacks ahead of time. Eat only while seated at the table this week. Log it all in a food diary.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN