Finding Other Mommies to Play With
Virtual Mom Friends
Need a quick fix? Want to talk to another mother who understands what it’s like to be up with a colicky baby in the middle of the night? If you haven’t already, check out chat rooms and message boards for mothers online. The women you’ll meet online probably aren’t around the corner, but you can share your thoughts with and get support from moms just like you. This can be quite a blessing when you’re feeling lonely in the middle of the night, or day. Start right here at BabyZone!
Breaking the Ice
- Once you’re in a situation with other moms, smile, introduce yourself, and pick something to talk about that would be of interest to both of you (“Where did you find that great sand toy?” “Have you heard that pumpkins have a lot of beta carotene?”)
- If you didn’t feel at home with the first playgroup you try, try another group, or try the same one another day. Don’t give up!
Start Your Own Playgroup
- Can’t find an existing group? Start your own playgroup by gathering moms from all the sources listed above. Take turns meeting weekly at each other’s houses or at the park during nice weather.
- Decide what time you want to meet, how long to meet for, and how to handle birthdays. Will you collect dues for communal snacks or bring your own? Whether to invite new members or limit membership should be discussed in advance.
- Gather all the families, including the daddies, a few times a year so your family friendships can deepen over time.
- Over 40? Mother of twins? Adoptive mom? Consider starting up a specialized group.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN