Why I'm Thankful for the Internet
Sometimes I take the internet for granted. Here are 5 reasons why I'm glad to have it in my life.
Life has changed in a lot of ways thanks to technology. It’s pretty fascinating when I think about all the advancements I’ve seen in my life. From video game consoles to the home PC; the internet coming to town to social media. Even though there are days I want to unplug and go completely off the grid, there are more days where I’m thankful for how the internet has impacted my life.
Top 5 Reasons I’m Thankful for the Internet
1. It’s where I met my husband. Probably my favorite thing about this crazy digital life of mine. At the time (over 10 years ago) it wasn’t mainstream yet, but I’m glad I took a chance! Credit is due for other personal and social connections too. It’s provided me a different way to find other moms to talk with and maintain other family ties.
2. I can work from home. Becoming a stay-at-home mom wasn’t my original plan, but it ended up being the best for our family. However, I missed contributing to our income and am grateful for the ability to work while home with my kids. I admit this does add another layer to balance though.
3. I can avoid talking on the phone. From ordering a pizza to tweeting my husband while he’s at work, there’s a reason the phone is the least used feature on my smartphone. It’s odd since I was a typical gabby teen who was constantly talking on the phone. Over the years I’ve preferred email or text more and more over talking on the phone. Besides, trying to talk on the phone with little children around is challenging. And yes… sometimes I text, tweet or private message my husband from within our home. It’s the perfect way to communicate without waking the sleeping baby I’m trapped under.
4. I have access to information. From parenting concerns to recipes, I look up a lot of information online. Even when I need something locally, I turn to the internet to help me find what I’m looking for first (in most cases). For example, when I wanted to find a kid-friendly salon for my daughter’s first hair cut, I looked up options online.
5. It’s entertaining! Middle of the night nursing sessions? Hello, Twitter. Or Candy Crush. Or YouTube. Heck, we don’t even have cable anymore thanks to the wonderful options for online entertainment. Plus, we feel like it gives us better control over what our kids watch. And shopping from my smartphone? Love it! Such a nice convenience for us, especially since we only have one car.
How has the internet impacted your parenting?
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN