Pamper Yourself Without Leaving Home
Whenever you’re down and out—work has been overwhelming, the daily grind has you frazzled, and the housework is never-ending—it’s Spa Time!
Try setting aside an evening once a month to pamper yourself. It can become a comforting ritual that you will look forward to each time. Take control of your own beauty regimen with these homemade indulgences. Preparing your own spa treatments is an affordable luxury. And, since many of these recipes contain ingredients found in most kitchens, they’re perfect for those times when you have some unexpected time to yourself.
An important tip: Because these homemade treatments do not contain the preservatives like their store-bought counterparts do, you will want to make them fresh before each use.
Relax With Herbs In Your Bath
Making herbal baths is as easy as making a cup of herbal tea. First you need an infusion bag. A piece of muslin or cheesecloth work well. Place the herbs inside the center and tie the cloth together tightly with a length of string. Place the infusion bag in a bowl or large mug and pour in boiling water. Steep the brew for at least 10 to 15 minutes. (Basically you are steeping a tea and then adding it to your bath.)
Use a combination of the following herbs—about 1/2 to 1 cup of each herb:
- Dried mint
- Dried lavender
- Dried chamomile
- Dried rosemary
- Dried rose petals
- You can even add dried milk and/or ground oatmeal (make use of the food processor
Homemade Facial Scrubs and Masks
Keep yourself in a state of pampered bliss with these homemade recipes (each one is very soothing and nourishing to the skin):
- Mash one-half banana and add 1 tablespoon honey and 2 tablespoons sour cream. Apply this mixture to your face and let set for 10 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
- Grind 1 tablespoon almonds into a fine meal in a food processor or blender. Mix the almond meal together with 1 tablespoon honey and one egg white. Apply this mixture to the face and let set for 15 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
- Mash half of an avocado and apply this to the entire face. Let set for about 20 minutes and then gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
- Puree half a peeled, sliced cucumber in a food processor or blender and add 1 tablespoon yogurt. Apply this to the face and let set for about 20 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
- Crush a handful of strawberries and mix well with 1 teaspoon honey. Apply this mixture to the face and let set for about 15 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
- For a scrub, make a paste from a little oatmeal and water. Apply to the face and allow to dry. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth. Or as a variation, mix 2 tablespoons cornmeal with water to make a thick paste. Apply to the face and let dry. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
Herbal Hair Rinse
Pour 2 cups boiling water over two tablespoons dried Rosemary. Steep this for about 15 minutes. Strain and let cool. Rinse your hair with this herbal tea.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN