- In This Feature
- Befuddled by Bottles?
- Do Baby Bottles Need to Be Sterilized Each Time Before Use?
- What's the Deal with Nipples that Come in Different Stages?
- There Are So Many Styles of Bottles. How Do I Choose?
- Is Warming Formula or Breast Milk Really Necessary?
- How Long Does Formula Keep?
- Can I Re-Heat Formula?
- Is It OK to Nurse, Then Offer Formula?
Do Baby Bottles Need to Be Sterilized Each Time Before Use?
Yes. To sterilize bottles, boil parts for 10 minutes in a pot of water or run them through the dishwasher using water that's 180 degrees or hotter.
And how long is a baby bottle actually considered sterile? According Dr. James Sears, a board-certified pediatrician, coauthor of The Baby Book and medical advisor to Lansinoh Laboratories, you should take care to store the bottle in a clean place (i.e. away from grease spatters, a smoky oven, etc.) and use it within a couple of days.