'Tis the season to be jolly—unless you're pregnant and hormonal, in which case you may feel more like decking the stranger who asked if you were carrying twins than decking any halls with boughs of holly. Having been pregnant during two recent holiday seasons, myself, I know it can be a challenging time; braving hordes of shoppers and hitting the party circuit were the last things I felt like doing while my ankles swelled to the size of grapefruits. However, there are some perks, which I've highlighted to cheer up the not-so-jolly pregnant ladies out there:
The 10 Best Things About Being Pregnant During the Holidays
10. Maternity pants will surely accommodate an extra gingerbread cookie. Or four.
9. Santa Claus has made big, round bellies quite fashionable this time of year, so you'll be right on-trend!
8. You will become the most popular person among friends and family—for serving as the official holiday season designated driver.
7. On the flip side, pregnancy serves as an acceptable excuse to skip parties and other holiday activities that don't float your boat. ("Oh darn, sorry, I would LOVE to come to your Seventh Annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party, BUT…")
6. Long line at the store? No problem. Just grab your stomach and yell, "CONTRACTIONS!"—that should bump you to the front real quick.
5. Whenever you cry at the movie "Elf," you can blame it on pregnancy hormones.
4. You also have a fabulous excuse for making your husband hang up all those annoyingly uncooperative lights on the tree.
3. Three words: cozy winter slippers.
2. People don't mind if you have some "bah, humbug!" moments. (You're entitled to those when you're pregnant.)
1. No need to worry about getting rid of those "holiday pounds!"