I am in the 41st week of my first pregnancy. During my last checkup, which was on my due date, I was 50 percent effaced and 3 cms dilated. My doctor assured me that I would go into labor within the next two to three days. The same night I discharged my mucus plug. However, five days have gone by and I am getting very anxious and frustrated as nothing seems to be happening. I have been taking long walks, doing all the chores around the house, keeping myself very active but with no result. My baby seems to be also very active and I have been feeling the movements throughout. I don't want to wait anymore. Should I ask my doctor for an induction during my next visit? I don't want to wait until I complete 42 week as I am getting very impatient. Also can you tell me why I have not gone into labor with 3 cm of dilation? I have many friends who have gone into labor just after being dilated to 1 cm their first pregnancy as well!
I agree with your doctor—you're liable to go any time! But here are some thoughts:
There's nothing wrong with asking for an induction with such a favorable cervix. Certainly the baby's mature by now, so there's no worry over prematurity. And even though I'm a man, I certainly wouldn't want to go to 42 weeks, either.
Walking and chores, in my opinion, have never helped anyone go into labor. And one woman's 1 cm cervix follows a whole different set of rules than another woman's 3 cm cervix, so you can't compare female apples with female oranges.
You probably lost your mucus plug because you were examined, which will loosen it. Although this is called one of the "signs of imminent labor," this is a myth. You make a new plug in 24 hours. However, I wonder if your doctor "stripped" your membranes, which is a wiser way to provoke spontaneous labor than to blast away with labor induction with it's increased possibility of C-section.
If your baby is active, this is an excellent sign of fetal well-being.