Car Seat Considerations
How your type of vehicle can affect your car seat installation
New Family Car Checklist
Take this checklist with you when you go shopping for a vehicle:
- Are there enough safety belts for everyone?
- Can the vehicle’s lap/shoulder belt system accommodate children who have outgrown safety seats and booster seats
- Is there enough room — preferably in the back seat — to install a child safety seat correctly?
- Will the vehicle’s seat design interfere with safety seat installation? (Check slope, humps, contours, splits and safety belt anchorages.)
- Do safety belts have locking features (locking or switchable retractor) for safety seats?
- Are tether anchorages available? (Some vehicle manufacturers can provide retrofit anchorage kits.)
- Are adjustable upper belts available?
- Are built-in child restraint systems available?
Other Important Safety Features to Look For:
- Head restraint protection for rear seats.
- Safety door locks so children cannot open doors from inside vehicle.
- Override window controls.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN