Adding Personality: Crib Furniture Styles and Finishes
A crib gives your baby's nursery personality. With numerous styles available, you should be able to find exactly what you need. Babies 'R' Us, the self-proclaimed baby superstore, lists four styles of nursery furniture in its baby resource guide. These styles cover most of what you'll find in larger baby furniture outlets and department stores. Specialty furniture shops will likely have their own spin on these styles. Have fun shopping around!
- Traditional: Cribs in this category have decorative touches that give the nursery a homey feel. So called "traditional" cribs include some of the most popular styles such as Jenny Lind, which are characterized by their spindled slats and dark wood finishes.
- Colonial: The colonial style draws from its European roots, meaning you can expect more engravings, scrollwork, and other woodwork on these cribs.
- Shaker: Simple, clean lines define the shaker style. Look for durable, solid construction.
- Contemporary: Contemporary style encompasses those cribs that are less decorative and more elegant. These cribs are often in lighter wood finishes or even constructed of metal.
No matter which furniture style you choose you will also have a choice of wood finishes. Consider first whether you want a hardwood, usually oak, which is stronger and more resilient than softwood, like pine, which tends to be less expensive. Either wood comes in a variety of finishes. A few are listed here:
- Oak: A popular choice both in wood and in finish, oak is a medium brown, tan color.
- Natural: A natural finish brightens a nursery and highlights the look of the wood.
- Cherry: A darker, redder finish will add a subtle touch of warmth and color to your nursery.