August 20, 2009: Simplicity Bassinets Recall Reissue
The spaces between the bassinet's metal bars pose a strangulation threat to babies
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) is again urging retailers nationwide to stop the sale of 900,000 Simplicity Bassinets manufactured by Simplicity Inc., of Reading, Pennsylvania. (This recall was first issued in August 2008.) Children may slip through gaps and become trapped between the metal bars of the bassinet, posing a strangulation risk. Four babies have died from strangulation while in the bassinets.
Do You Own This Bassinet?
The bassinets are sold under brand name “Simplicity Bassinets.” The Simplicity 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 convertible bassinets contain metal bars that are covered by an adjustable fabric flap which is attached by velcro. The fabric is folded down when the bassinet is converted into a bed-side co-sleeping position. The recalled models include those with “Graco” and “Winnie the Pooh” logos.
The carriers are currently sold at retail stores nationwide.
Whom to Contact
Consumers should immediately stop using the bassinets. The following retailers have agreed to stop selling the bassinets to recall the product. If you purchased the bassinet at one of these stores, you may receive a full refund or store credit:
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc., of Bentonville, Ark. – (800) 925-6278 or www.walmart.com
- Toys “R” Us Inc., of Wayne, N.J. – (800) 869-7787 or www.toysrus.com or www.babiesrus.com
- Kmart Corp., of Hoffman Estates, Ill. – (800) 659-7026 or www.kmart.com
Big Lots!, of Columbus, Ohio – (866) 244-5687 or www.biglots.com
- Target of Minneapolis, Minnesota sold at www.target.com only
- J.C. Penney, of Plano, Texas – (888) 333-6063 or www.jcp.com
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN