I work in an office for a research lab, and one of our scientists just told me that I shouldn't be the one making a lot a photocopies because the fumes coming from the copy machine can be harmful to the baby. Is this true?
This is a case of better safe than sorry. As obstetricians, we aren't certain what fumes can and can't harm your developing baby. We can only assume that it's possible that what you smell could make it through the placenta to the baby. Although the copier fumes are probably not enough to harm your unborn baby, you can't go wrong in just avoiding chemical fumes.
As an aside, women are often warned against painting while pregnant. With paint, it's not just about the fumes, but more about the chemicals in the paint that can be absorbed through the skin and possibly harm your unborn baby.