Grilled Cheese and Veggie Sandwich
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 3 small eggplants, sliced diagonally 1/4inch thick
- olive oil for brushing vegetables and pita
- 4 pita rounds
- 3/4 cup pesto
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or provolone
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly brush bell peppers and eggplants with oil and grill on an oiled rack set about 4 inches over glowing coals about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from grill and set aside. (As an alternative to grilling, place vegetables in broiler.)
- Lightly brush pita bread with oil and grill, about 1 minute. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Spread each piece of pita with 3 tablespoons of pesto and divide peppers, eggplants, and cheese between them. Place in oven to melt cheese.
- For the pesto, in a blender or small food processor, blend together all ingredients until smooth.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN