Serves: 2 dozen
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups (approximately) unbleached flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- Warm butter, milk, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar over low heat. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve yeast and the other 2 tablespoons sugar in the lukewarm water. Cover yeast bowl and let set until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Combine milk and yeast mixtures and stir.
- Beat egg yolks, then add to mixture. Slowly add 3 cups of the flour. Mix dough well, then add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time to make a soft dough. If it gets too stiff, stop adding flour.
- Turn dough onto a floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, rolling dough so it is covered with grease. Cover bowl and let dough rise until double in size.
- Roll dough into small balls. Place balls on a greased baking sheet 2 inches apart. Let the dough rise until double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN