Great Gift Giving: Tried and True Ideas
12. Online Registries: Make gift registries easy on guests by choosing a conventional store that also has a secure online registry, giving them more options for choosing that perfect present.
13. Personalize It: New parents love personalization! A simple hand-painted toy box with the baby's name or initialized socks and onesies make for classic gifts.
14. Make it Memorable: Make a memory of the day by documenting the event. Use a camcorder, camera, and journal to record all the gifts, guests, and goings on.
15. Sage Advice: Ask each guest for parenting advice. Compile all the quotes into a pretty book that can be labeled for Mom and kept as a useful keepsake.
16. Mom-to-Be's Baby Days: Research what the mom-to-be was like as a baby and create a mini-presentation. Discuss her habits, tantrums, and messiest moments, all accompanied by pictures. Store your notes and photos in an album for the new mama to share with her little ones.
17. Homemade Heirlooms: Make an heirloom-quality quilt, christening dress, or petticoat. "Embroider the baby's name and birth date (or christening date) on the item and offer to embroider the same information for each successive recipient," suggests Sherri Athay, founder of Present Perfect Gift Consultants and GiftElan.
18. Baby Bathtub Gift Basket: Assemble bath-time items in a baby bathtub. Wrap the filled tub with a large sheet of cellophane, tie it with a colorful bow, and top it with an adorable rubber duck.