Try this craft to make tie-dyed shamrocks:
- Precut shamrock shapes out of coffee filters.
- Mix water and yellow food coloring and place this into a container. Do the same with blue.
- Keep the colors rich and dark.
- Invite the kids to use eyedroppers to drip colors onto the filter shape. The colors will run together and make beautiful decorations.
Let the Games Begin!
This entertaining locomotion game is even better if you can gather other family members or friends to play with you and your child.
- Cut several small shamrocks from green construction paper.
- Write instructions on the one side, such as: hop like a bunny, gallop like a horse, crawl like a snake, walk like an elephant, and so on.
- Place these instructional shamrocks in a container on the other side of the room.
- Play this game like a relay race, as the first person runs to the pile, takes a shamrock and does what it says while returning to his/her team, then sits down. Station an adult to help read the instructions.
- The next team member proceeds in the same way until everyone has had a turn. Shamrocks can be plain or fancy.
Do you feel lucky? Make some lime green Jello according to package directions and pour it into clear plastic cups. Invite your child to help cut carrot rounds (to replicate gold coins). Use plastic knives for young children and supervision is wise for any age. Place the carrot rounds into each cup before the gelatin has set. Place back into the refrigerator until completely set before serving.
In honor of all these festivities, I leave you with this Irish blessing: May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow and may trouble avoid you wherever you go!